The VIII - Selene

i want to thank you people for your reviews i just recieved an email and spoke to caitlyn and made an appointment for an interview which i will not be going to.i have no time to be wasting on scams. i want a real job not to have someone waste my time with nonsense. i hope someone will report this company so they wont keep trying to scam people.i just rather keep looking for a job that is serious and not a company to try to scam people who are really trying to get a job to get ahead in life.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Oct 19, 2012.

Selene,

If this company is truly a scam, someone who has been wronged by the company should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org

The VIII - Sarcastic Scam Time Suck

COMPLETE SCAM

I was contacted by "The VIII" after posting my resume on Careerbuilder.com. They told me they liked my resume and were bringing in Entry Level Account Executives. I spoke with who I was TOLD was "Carly" ,but when I called back for more information, I was told it must have been "Kathryn." I did research on the company after having an interview set up for Friday at 11:30AM and discovered I would be meeting with Brad Hiller a man who seems to have jumped companies several times with different names (ex. Luxe Marketing, Polaris, Seven Promotions,Phoenix Solutions). There are several consumer complaints on line that Brad Hiller requires a 3 day interview process one of which includes a day of work. The work is advertised as an Account Executive position but is, in reality, commission based, door to door business selling & pressuring with Pyramid scheme management offerings. They also refused to comment on the phone if the position was salary or commission based and would only be "discussed with the manager (Brad)." I was never told Brad's full name, I had to call back and ask. When I told them they had a horrible reputation online I was promptly told by "Kathryn" "oh yes we already know, that's fine you just wont get the job." and hung up on. They claim to have many clients but the only one they could mention on the website and my call back was Verizon. Their website is full of generic filler speak with zero specifics and I couldn't even find them listed on the BBB, although they claim to be affiliated. I sincerely hope that these scams (in the face of dire unemployment) can be weeded through.

The woman who emailed me, Carly Mancuso has possibly the most bogus looking Linked In profile ever: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmancuso614 And the entire company has only one follower.

Their manager Brad Hiller has a Linked In profile that never even mentions The VIII only "Marketing Styles Inc." http://www.linkedin.com/pub/brad-hiller/1b/692/426

The website: http://the-viii.com/ Has nothing but generic marketing babble and mentions no specific client (except perhaps Verizon, the only one they could mention on the phone either)

They claim to have a PR Log that is the same text as their website, and the logo is completely different than the logo embedded in their emails. An example of it is here: http://www.prlog.org/11652852-the-viii-growth-and-expansion.html

I have more followers than they don on twitter, and once again, different logo. Each post has nothing to do with their business, just inspirational quotes. https://twitter.com/#%21/@TheVIII

I also came across a Wordpress blog they "run" that had one entry posted ever in October of this year with no subsequent updates.

I have already filed a report with the BBB about their behavior and about Brad Hiller. People like this need to be arrested when 30,000,000+ people are searching for work. Craigslist and Monster have NO filter and I don't know why any legitimate business would want to use them based on how many scams seem to take up residence there.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Oct 27, 2011.

Comments

this might be very late but I got a call from them yesterday and they insisted on an interview the next day.

I tried my best to find their information online about paying information.

So if you read this, should I call them and ask why they have a bad reputation online?

"The VIII" is a Scam! Beware of Chris Butte or Bute!

Please be aware of a Chris Bute or Chris Butte, same person, claims to own The VIII consulting group at 300 Hamilton Ave in White Plains New York. It is a complete Scam!

I went in for an interview and everything went way to smoothly. When I showed up for the interview the company name was not even listed in the lobby. The number on the door was written and taped to the door. This should have been more then enough bad signs for me to walk away.

Did research after the interview and found absolutely nothing about "The VIII" consulting group.

Please do not waste your time and do not give this man any of your information!

He also claims to own "Red Zone International Inc." Please take the same precautions!

Don't make the same mistake I did and waste your time interviewing with a scam artist lying to your face.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 14, 2011.

Comments

This company is legit. However, they still mess with people.

They sell you a big pay check and nice co-workers, but in reality they full of ***. If you get sells and the tech mess up the order you won't get paid.

And if you leave the last pay check won't be given to you until 45 days, which is total ***. Don't take this job unless you have a lot of money and have nothing else to do

Irvington, New York, United States #939813

This company The Vii/ Gold Rush 1848/ now known as Richard Allen is hired by Fortune 500 companies like Direct Energy and Verizon as 3rd party so they won't have to give any benefits. It's not a scam per say because you do get what you put in but it's not a secure or stable position. No insurance, no vacation, no sick days, and no compensation if you work a full day and don't get a sale.

Dumont, New Jersey, United States #859440

This place has now changed their name to Gold Rush 1849. Stay away! They promise $450 a week and then pay you commission only.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #740173

Its actually not a scam they are a small compNy associated with a much larger one.

Huntington, New York, United States #620198

thank God i can across to this blog, guy you save me lot of time.Btw just reading the email make this company suspicious. :? :eek

#620095

I got a voicemail all she said was I want to review your resume. Then I got an email saying they need me to call them as soon as possible they said I they are interested in me for coming in to interview for an account manager.

I couldn't find any information on this company. This is definitely a scam I get a lot of these calls.

I posted my resume on career builder on the weekend. Monday morning I received a call from a female named Stephanie, so she say.

She told me her team is looking for an account manager to fill the position by the end of this week. when she told the interview would be in white plains New York, I was like *** that's far (I said this to myself of coarse). i reluctantly agreed to the interview. I was so excited.

I decided to go on line to educate myself about this company i never heard of. it was hard to find this company. that's where the red flag went up. then i finally found the website and it didn't make sense and it sound a lot like the other scam artist company, Scentura Creations.

then i came across this website. Thank you all for your reviews. i decided not to go to this interview. I read one comment when a female said she didn't go to the interview and they sent her a email stating she missed the interview and if she call back with a logical excuse to why she missed the interview, she still could be interviewed by a regional manager.

and i can honestly say that is exactly what happened to me. i even called there to see if all the review were true and it is. I asked how much would i be making. the girl placed me on hold then came back on the phone and said $35,000.00-$40,000.

she seemed socked that i asked her this question. then i asked her what are the duties of an account manager and what would i be doing. she didn't want to answer. in fact she was so thrown off she tried to change the subject and asked for my name and did i receive an email.

i told her i'm not going to do that. then i said forget it i'm not interested. she replied "ok, bye". she sound angry when she said it.

bottom line, don't waste your time with these people. they're full of ***.

to X White Plains, New York, United States #616209

I also work at viii. I have been with the company for 2 years and can assure you it is no scam, unless I've been tricked for this long!!

Anyone who reads anonymous posts about a company before making irrational assumptions is cheating themselves from the opportunity that the viii offers. We have an interview process designed to educate individuals before we offer the position so people know exactly what is required to be a productive and loyal employee.

Before being presumptuous I would encourage people to see if they have what it takes to be considered for management training program. After all, one day of interviewing with a company that may offer a powerful career opportunity will give you an educated judgement of what the vii actually does.

I work for the VIII, and I can assure you that the company is not a scam. The VIII starts candidates out as account managers, and then develops them into managers through their management training program. It is a great opportunity for anyone looking to gain hands on experience in marketing, sales, management, or leadership.

to Anonymous #615179

that means your among the fools who been brain washed. You'll wake and smell the roses one day, hopefully......i remember being brain washed too when i worked for scentura creations.

they have the same *** too. you can become a leader-no let me rephrase that- a owner. you can become your own "owner" and run your "Business" like a real "owner".

i was 18 at the time, i was ignorant and didn't know better. it's been 10 + and this *** is still going down.

to X #615183

sorry for calling you a fool. but i don't think this is a place of employment.

it's just a scam and they have you as their butt of jokes. i'm just saying!!!

I got a call and an email from them after I posted my resume on careerbuilder. The voicemail I got didnt say anything about any job position, but the email I got said I have "been chosen for further review" for an entry level account manager position.

I am a Mechanical Engineer. This was my first clue that this place is a little off.

My second clue is this thread. So thank you to everyone!

New York, New York, United States #593939

I got off :( the phone from this company 10mins ago, it's a scam like others, thank God m not going to go all the way and waste my time. They seem o make a fool out of everyone.

New York, New York, United States #591341

thanks everyone who posted. i just got an email and call from them 1/8/13.

i never applied to them though, and the whole vague description in the email as well gave red flags.

so i researched it and i find this site confirming my thoughts. thanks guys.

New York, New York, United States #586350

His REAL name is Christopher BUTT. Not Bute.

Commission based door to door sales are a money flow to the top scam. They have to only pay commission because they would not be able to stay in business if they paid you by the hour or by salary.

Why not just show up and beat the *** out of these *** bags.

I work for this company at the moment. Just like all of you I was very skeptical, but since I live down the road I decided to go for the interview anyways.

I'm very happy that I went and gave it a chance. Unfortunately, commission based sales is not for everyone, I understand that but on the other hand I can assure the company is not a scam.

Almost all sales jobs are commission based. Everybody gets paid when they are supposed to, we have benefits and pension plans a available.

It can be frustrating when you are looking for a job, but I would give it a chance before saying this is not for me.

to Anonymous Warwick, Rhode Island, United States #752323

I took the job with one of these Cydcor baby offices because of the benefits. After my three months were up I was supposed to receive dental, vision, and health benefits.

I persistently asked my manager how and when I will get them. Her answer was always the same, "let me check further into that for you".

Then this past October 1st she gave me the website for Obama care. Maybe we get paid for the sales we make but it feels like I'm in a cult and there are shady things happening all the time.

:p I just got the same call. I was talking to female claiming that she want me to come for an interview.

Lucky for me I did my research. I thank everyone who has posted on this site it is much appreciated.

Thank you all for the info and saving me alot of headaches. My past experience was in finances and this email was sent from heaven.

Now I see what your guys are saying and wow!!!

Why would you play with people's lives like that surpasses me. Thanks to everyone once again :)

I just rec'd a call from today (11/26)they signed me up for an interview for tommorrow! I'm glad I did a little research and found this site! Kuddo's guys for speaking up and saving desperate unemployed people like me!

I thought the email from these guys was strange because I am a carpenter,I have been working construction for the past ten years. But wait this is the kicker, they said my professional background meets their standards for an account manager. LOL

Thanks guys for the info...I HAD and interview for tomorrow

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

Thanks to these postings I save my self some quality being waisted on these ***. I just pulled out my fabulous suite and perfecting my resume when i came across these comments.

I receive a call today and they want to meet me tomorrow. I was excited but now I think I am greatful that I see these comments first.

I know who will not be going tomorrow. Thank you guys so much

I just got their call about scheduling a interview. I don't think I can be a manager.

So I decided not going there tomorrow. Thanks sooooo much, guys.

Wow as I was reading this I recieved a call from them! Hah, I did a double take and asked if it was the Vii cause I didn't hear well. I then declined and said I'll pass.

Thank you for this post, it confirmed my suspicions about this company. Today I went for an interview with the company.

I am posting my resumes everywhere a lot recently, so was not suspicious when I got their email and call. I assumed they just found my resume on Monster or Career Builder and got back to me. Their, where they vaguely describe what they are doing and have a lot of messages about their fabulous leisure time activities, did raise some red flags for me. The office did not look professional for the company that claims working with well known telecommunications company and doing consulting for other well known companies.

The interview itself was really smooth in a sense that they asked very cliche questions. However, when they could hardly describe what I would be doing as this Entry Level Account Manager. This Chris guy for me did not look too professional either. His first questions were about where I lived rather my professional history.

He claimed to have seen my resume, but did not even know where I was from, so everything I said was sort of new for him.

They called me back for the second interview and asked to be available all day. But thanks to this post and all the questionable details in their website and office, I will not come back and suggest for others to do the same.

Funny i work for a temp agency and i told them i have an interview tomorow for this company. My agent was like "OMG DONT GO THERE ITS A SCAM" and here i see this website where everyone here was scammed or almost.

Thank you everyone. I know now im definitely not going tomorow. IM blocking their number and email. I dont have time for this.

I should be glad i have a job. Not much pay but better then nothing.

wow! thank goodness for people like you.

I just got a call today from "Carly" to set up an interview and I said yes...but after reading this there is no way in *** im traveling all the way to white plains for this BS. smh, so disappointed!

ohh *** no I just got an email from them and a phone call and i didnt remeber sending them my email i didnt think i could be a manger of a company and i looked at there website didnt look like business at all the werid but thanks you guys for the advise i well not waste my time and gas driving there

Wow!

I'm really glad I read this. A woman named Caitlyn emailed me yesterday about seeing my resume and right away I thought it was a scam because I never remembered applying with them. Then she called me a few hours later saying they wanted to meet me based on my resume (which also didn't make sense because I didn't graduate with a business degree), and when I asked about the position she never gave me a real answer which I also found strange.

Has anyone checked their Facebook page too? All of the pictures are of office parties, them going on conferences, and going to bars. Not that it looks bad ha ha, but still, kind of a weird thing to put on a "business'" social media page.

Anyway, thanks for posting this and saving me gas money!

Thanks for this info......have an interview tomorrow that I will not be going to!!!

#520212

This is a terrible company based on BS and fraudulent practices. Avoid this at all costs if you value your time and money.

Thank you SOO much. They've been calling me for the last few days.

I also received the email asking me to come in. I went to the website and it just didn't make any sense. What's the worst part about it is i cancelled on them before when I had an interview.

I would think they would never call back but they did. Great advice.

#501924

Same thing happened to me! I'm not even actively looking for work since I'm already busy as a freelance consultant.

They called me last Friday (6.22.12) but left a voicemail. Of course the vmail was vague with no mention of what the position was (which I think is ignorant when people do that). Then I got an email this AM telling me that they really wanted to have me come in for an interview since their in "final stages" of interviewing for "the position" once again still vague with no mention of what the position actually was.

So I emailed them back and said, I don't book appointments if I don't know what the position is about.

Of course, no reply. And when I went to their website, it was a total red flag.

Their site never clearly states what they do and is just a mess of stock copy and images (I used to work in web-dev so I'm very aware of when copy text is too vague to be useful). So not interested in whatever mess they're peddling.

Smmfh....I'm scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not even going to call and cancel, thank you all for the truth.

I agree the website and phone call with Caitlyn are all very vague.

I'm a jobless, recent college grad, mom of 1 who doesn't need time and money wasted. You all are life savers!

I am SO glad I found this post and this website! I was scheduled for an interview tomorrow in their White Plains location, by a woman named Catherine.

It was an "Account Executive Entry Level" position and no details were given about it. After reading these posts, I just called back and cancelled my interview. I am so glad my money and time was not wasted! A woman named Carly picked up and she asked me why I wanted to cancel, I told her there is no information about the company, and the information I did find was all bad, and that this job was all commission based.

She said that wasn't true, it's based on your qualification. I said yeah ok, I'm still not interested, bye.

Don't waste your time and money!

I'm shocked at how many shady 'employers' there are, on Career Builder and Monster. Good luck everyone and beware of scam artists.

Not to be repetitive but I, too, am so grateful for stumbling across this thread! I had received an email a week ago from this company and after reading, I visited the VIII website. After perusing and learning absolutely nothing, I closed it without any afterthought. Nothing for me there.

Today, I received a message on my voicemail from "Carly at VIII" and my exact thoughts consisted of the following: a) who the *** is Carly? and b) what the *** is VIII? The answers, I now know, are people who prey on job seekers with a BS opportunity from an equally BS company. Unfortunate.

Thank you to the others who took the time to inform us and if you have landed on this page, you've been warned! What a joke.

Thank God I saw this. I mean I always look up companies if I don't know them as a big company. But I had a feeling right away that this was B.S.

So glad I read this thread! I had an interview scheduled for tomorrow and I most definitely cancelled that! :eek

Crazy but right after I post my resume on careerbuilder I too got calls and emails form all these marketing company. Like this on "THE VIII" I went online and did my resreach and new this was sales and thought hey why not give it a try ....till I came acroos this website and notice unhappy people.

So, I changed my mind but I find it weird how people complain about them but they seem kind of legit. They have a facebook with picture they are on BBB rate A becaseu of no complaint.

I think if this is an issue it should be report. Nonetheless, go with your gut feeling...

totally agree! SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!

don't waste your time and money like I did! why are they after you? why is their website so vague?

why don't they give you a good understanding of the position when you call or when you're emailed? These signs should be more than enough

Just got a call from them myself. they are door to door sales people for products like verizon fios or other such tech services.

100% commission based.

you walk into businesses and try to sell them on the product without any leads. kind of terrible way to earn money.

Wow is this true????

I was emailed by them this morning wondering who they were, since i never heard of them.

An just now i was called by someone from this office in white plains with a scheduled interview. I tried asking the woman who called me to give me more details about the position and only told me its a business to business entry level position.

Now I'm schedule for this interview with out any real feed back. Can any one share what they experienced at the interview?

Thank you..almost go to their interview too

Thanks for the heads-up. Almost went to one of their interviews. The minute I would have saw that taped sign, I'd have know, but I would have been pissed that I wasted time and money.

Thanks!

I went for an interview with VIII too. Saw that the sign was taped to the door and left right away. I wish I found this post before I went, I thought the company seemed a tad shady at first but decided to go there anyway to check it out. but the sign taped to the door was just too much.

I was called by some woman named Carly and all the e-mails came from someone named Denise Mendez. After I missed the interviews they even e-mailed me asking to explain why I missed it, and saying they could reschedule with the regional manager if I let them know right the reason I was not there right away. For a company that said they were having a "competitive hiring process" this seemed to be a bit much, I figured not showing up would give them the hint that I caught on, but apperantly it did not.

All the e-mails i recieved from them appeared to be mass e-mails, nothing personal about that, so they are trying to get as many people scammed a quick as possible.

View more comments